Sarasota County Government
Angela Deem-Gustafson, RN, Wellness Development Advisor
1660 Ringling Blvd, 4th floor
Sarasota, FL 34236
Local government on the west coast of Florida with approximately 3100 employees; 3 bargaining units and over 200 employee locations.
- Other local hospitals and health department had implemented Tobacco Free Campuses, prior to SCG’s tobacco free hiring policy.
- Meet with local health department, internal legal department and county administration; decision to not address was too costly.
- Sarasota County Government is self insured, thus the savings is directly passed onto employer and employees in lower medical claims.
- Tied into local health department and CDC initiative to reduce the number of new tobacco users.
- A greater change to a culture of Wellness.
- Bargaining units could claim that a new HR policy for a tobacco free campus, without being fully bargained, would be considered a change in conditions of employment thus open to grievances, etc.
- Current tobacco free ordinances for beaches and parks; did not want the potential risk of tobacco lobbyist over turning these laws/ordinances.
- Tobacco free hiring policy easier to implement than tobacco free campus initiative.
- Continued communication, support and resources.
- Highly encourage if considering a tobacco-free hiring policy that a tobacco free campus policy also be implemented.